Read as article
Roberts Lets Trump Ballroom Proceed
By @sharedot · · 8 pages
Chief Justice Roberts temporarily allowed Trump's $400M White House ballroom construction to.
Roberts Intervenes Hours Before Construction Halt
Chief Justice John Roberts on Friday allowed the White House to continue construction on President Donald Trump's $400 million ballroom project, according to the Chattanooga Times Free Press, citing the Associated Press. The temporary order came hours before lower-court rulings would have forced a halt to aboveground construction because Trump did not get congressional approval. Roberts signed the order because he oversees emergency appeals of cases filed in the capital. The one-page document does not detail his reasoning or indicate when another ruling will be handed down.

Lower Courts Had Already Ruled Against the Project
The intervention is notable because two lower courts had already ruled against the project. According to the Chattanooga Times Free Press, U.S. District Judge Richard Leon in April ordered a stop to aboveground construction, allowing only belowground work on bunkers and military installations. An appeals court panel upheld that decision, with two judges appointed by Democratic presidents finding the project was "not a matter for Executive self-help." A third judge, appointed by Trump, found that the preservationist group challenging the project had no legal standing to sue.

Project 65% Complete, East Wing Demolished
According to the Chattanooga Times Free Press, the Trump administration says 65% of the work has already been completed on the planned 90,000-square-foot ballroom, where the East Wing stood before the president ordered its demolition. Crews are working 20 hours a day, seven days a week. Approximately $200 million in private donations has been spent or committed, according to court documents filed by the Justice Department. Trump said in a social media post that the project is "under budget and ahead of schedule." The administration argues the project must be completed due to national security concerns.

Presidential Power Versus Congressional Authority
The case tests the limits of presidential power as Trump increasingly seeks to mold the capital in his own image. The Chattanooga Times Free Press reports that the National Trust for Historic Preservation argues Trump has no unilateral authority to undertake the work, accusing the White House of trying to "outrun the courts" by accelerating construction. Separately, Al Jazeera reports that courts have blocked other Trump administration executive actions, including USPS mail-in ballot restrictions that a federal judge in June said the federal government could not impose on states, noting the Constitution leaves election administration to the states.
Courts Continue Ruling on Trump Administration Policies
The broader pattern of courts reviewing Trump administration actions frames the stakes of the ballroom dispute. NPR reports that a federal judge on Friday struck down the Trump administration's ban on issuing immigrant visas to people from 75 countries, ruling the policy violated federal immigration law by discriminating on the basis of nationality. The Chattanooga Times Free Press notes that the Trump administration has scored a series of victories on the Supreme Court's emergency docket, though the justices have ruled against some of the president's signature policies after fuller review.
Full Supreme Court Likely to Weigh In Next
According to the Chattanooga Times Free Press, the full Supreme Court will likely weigh in next on whether construction can continue for the potentially long duration of the lawsuit. The current order remains in place until a more durable decision is issued. Trump thanked the high court and the chief justice during a political appearance in South Carolina, saying "When they say proceed, I think that's a good thing." Solicitor General D. John Sauer called the lower-court decision halting the work "extraordinary and unlawful" and said completion was "vitally required by national security."